Happy Monday everyone!
I'm so excited to share with you how I made my silver goblet wind chimes.
When I found a set of six small silver goblets back at the end of May I didn't know what I was going to do with them at first, but I grabbed them because they were marked down at the thrift store from $12 to $1 for all six.
When I was carrying them to my car they were banging against each other in the bag so I took two out of the bag, held them upside down by their bottoms, and lightly touched them against each other... and they sounded just heavenly.
I knew right then and there that I had to somehow make them into wind chimes.
So I started looking for other pieces that would work for this project, and I finally had all the pieces to make my wind chimes this past week. Total cost of the silver pieces below was $6.50. The crystals were left over from my Garden Candelier project.
Now that I had all the pieces I needed all I had to do was figure out how I was going to put them together.
So I gave this a lot of thought while sitting on the back deck on a very hot and humid day having a rum cooler in my favourite pink flamingo glass.
Plan A: I tried to drill a hole into one of the goblets because my plan was to screw in eye hooks to hang the goblets. Wrong!!! This totally didn't work, and I ended up breaking a drill bit.
Plan B: Marine Goop to the rescue again. I love this stuff! I found some small washers and glued them to the bottoms of the six small goblets and the one larger centre goblet. Then I let the glue cure for 24 hours.
This gave me time to think about how I was going to hang the goblets.
Metal ball chain? Maybe... but how would I secure it to the washers?
Fishing line? It could work, but how would I get them to hang like I wanted... all at the same length? Sounded like a nightmare to me.
I went to my old tackle box (I used to be a fisher-person years ago) to get some fishing line and there it was... a fishing leader. And suddenly I could hear my wind chimes... ding ding ding ding!!!
So I went to Canadian Tire and bought the leaders that I needed. I used some saved up Canadian Tire money instead of real cash so I saved $14.00. (Here in Canada Canadian Tire gives customers Canadian Tire money for a small percentage of every purchase.)
I hooked the leaders on to the washers on the bottoms of the goblets.
I used seven 6" silver fishing leaders. After I attached the leaders I noticed that three of the smaller goblets were going to hang slightly longer than the other three.
A happy accident! I actually liked the look.
I used a roofing nail to hammer a hole into the centre of the silver platter. This is where the large goblet would hang.
Then I did a dry run by hanging the goblets. I had planned on hanging the small goblets from the holes along the outside of the platter, but that didn't work because they were too far from the centre goblet and would take way too big a wind to chime.
John came up with this hanging contraption out of an old wire frame and some chain so I could put this wind chime together.
So back to the drawing board.
I removed all the goblets and hammered six holes into the silver platter, , evenly spaced and closer to the middle, and secured the loops at the tops of the leaders with straightened out heavy duty staples from my staple gun.
Once I was sure they were where I wanted them I added a dab of Marine Goop at each hole to secure in place. The holes in the punched out pattern in the platter will be used to hang some chandelier crystals.
Now it was time to put the top piece together.
I glued the bottom of the silver vase to the top side of the platter, and the final piece, a silver cat, was glued to the bottom of the platter, which is actually the very top of the wind chime. Huh?
Well that was about as clear as mud. It'll make sense when you see the finished wind chimes... I hope.
The silver cat is in homage to our feline friends who share our house and our lives... and think they rescued us. lol. They may be right!
Then I hammered 3 holes, evenly spaced, for the 9" leaders that would hang at the top and basically carry the whole wind chime. These leaders are used to dealing with fighting fish, so they're totally strong enough to carry the weight.
I bent a heavy duty staple from my staple gun into a V, Put the leader top loop on it and put it through the hole from the top down. Then I bent the two ends of the staple on the underside of the platter. Once all three leaders were in place I gave the staple ends a dab of Marine Goop to secure.
This is the underside of the top platter.
Then I got a small finishing nail and hammered in holes to add the chandelier crystals. I just stuck the wire up through one small hole and then down the other.
Then I glued this top section onto the platter, temporarily securing it with duct tape. It was supposed to rain over night (and it did) so I hung the whole contraption in the shed to cure for 24 hours.
Here are some close ups.
Do you see me in the above photo? I didn't... until I uploaded it.
I just finished this project yesterday, and it was so cool and windy that I was wearing long sleeves and a jacket. A sharp contrast to the blistering temps we had just last week.
But I am not complaining... oh no... just saying.
I hung the top leaders on the hook end of a broken belt, and then closed it with pliers.
And here are my finished wind chimes.
They measure about 30" from the top of the hanger to the bottom of the centre silver goblet.
The goblets are very reflective... and play with the light just as much as the chandelier crystals.
These wind chimes sound amazing... like sweet garden music to my ears. I wish I had a video camera so that you could hear them. On non-windy days I know I'll be touching them every time I walk by... just so I can hear them play.
Thanks so much for reading!
Have a great day! :)